Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Meditations in Simplicity 2 - Spiral Notebooks

I have never been without notebooks, those benevolently bound set of blank pages that unconditionally begs the question, 'How are you doing?' and allow me to say whatever I wish. Remember dream catchers? Notebooks are like this. Thought catchers I like to think of them as. I'm sure many of you have done 'morning pages' from the book The Artist's Way.  Julia Cameron encourages you to write three pages every morning in a way to remove the self critic within each of us. I started these in 2005 and have maintained a relationship with notebooks ever since. I've written myself out of self deprecating funks, written myself to Europe, discovered hidden gratitudes and found deeper purpose watching and listening to my hand dance across the blank pages. The notebook mirrors the soul if you allow them to do so. Peace to your writings :)

3 comments:

  1. Back when I was doing the morning pages in 2000, I wrote down a strange dream that I had the night before. When I looked at the pages about a year later, I saw that my dream had predicted the crazy election mess of the Fall of 2000 by about two months. But in the dream, it was all my fault and Al Gore was chastising me. Nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's amazing! I've had a few dreams like that. I think dreams are one of the most unexplored, under appreciated aspects of our pysche.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I've recently found a few notebooks after moving and what I had written takes me back to places in my life that were beautiful, and horrible. But I've realized how much I've learned from all of it. I have one now that I even carry to work with me.

    ReplyDelete